Mentoring - Guide to Professional Success
The Association of Fundraising Professionals Western Pennsylvania Chapter’s GUIDES TO PROFESSIONAL SUCCESS (GPS) is a mentoring program available to members who want to advance their career, learn from successful fundraising professionals, and reach their full potential.
GPS is a structured and trusting relationship in which a new professional fundraiser (mentee) is matched with a seasoned fundraiser (mentor) who will offer advice, support, education and guidance in work and career development.
By participating in the GPS program, mentees will:
- Learn from a mentor's experiences, personal insights, knowledge, and know-how
- Develop a network of contacts that keep practitioners abreast of industry changes
- Receive guidance on potential career paths and goals, and strategies for reaching those goals
- Gain skills and knowledge to reach their full potential
By participating in the GPS program, mentors will:
- Share knowledge and experience
- Develop the talents of a new fundraising professional
- Provide guidance with the work and career futures of her or her mentee
- Help a new fundraiser reach his or her full potential
GPS coordinators carefully match mentors with mentees, taking into consideration organization mission, size and budget, geographical location and specific skill-building goals.
Criteria for mentors:
- AFP member in good standing
- Five or more years as a fundraising professional employed in the fundraising sector
- CFRE, ACFRE or F AHP or other professional certification is desirable
- Actively demonstrate a desire to serve the profession and community
- Proven track record in a specific discipline of fundraising, i.e. overall development management, planned giving, special events, annual fund, major gifts, etc.
Expectation of Mentors:
- Contact your mentee monthly
- Be available to advise the mentee in person, by phone or email once a month or as often as possible and necessary to establish a good working relationship
- Share your expertise based on the needs of the mentee and the type of organization for which they work
Bonus for Mentors:You will receive credits toward your CFRE-certification by participating as a mentor.
Criteria for mentees:
- AFP member or applicant for membership to the Western PA Chapter
- Less than three years experience fundraising profession
- Have fundraising as a primary job responsibility
Expectation of Mentees:
- Commit to meeting with your mentor monthly
- Become familiar with the web-based AFP Career Planner, particularly the Objectives/Self Assessment section
If you have any questions, please e-mail Jill Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need general information, please e-mail email@example.com